Monday, November 26, 2018

Caroline Howard Gilman: The 1800s Most Famous Female Author

Caroline Howard Gilman was a very progressive women who went against the social norms of a women's ability to write. In her childhood it was something she would secretly do and once she was married and her adult life progressed she wrote many novels, started a weekly journal for young adults, and wrote children's literature.

She was Born October 9 1794, and was raised in Boston Massachusetts before moving to Charleston South Carolina for her adult life. I chose Caroline because I similarly left Boston for Charleston when I turned eighteen so I found her as some one with a similar background that would interest me.

Sadly she passed away on September 15 1888 at the age of 93 and is buried at the Unitarian Church of Charleston. I am looking forward to visiting her grave as well as researching her family and her accomplishments.


No comments:

Post a Comment